It is 7:05 on a Friday night. My husband has his headphones on, playing his video game, my youngest daughter is upstairs in the bath, trying to get over a cold, the other three are doing....well what ever it is they do. I am sitting at my computer, blogging.
Now there is still no followers for this blog and again this is something I do for me, no one else. So I send this out into cyber space......
Flylady says that Friday night is date night, but for us, it is not. With a blended family it is hard to take every Friday to just take to yourself. After a long week and children bouncing back and forth from their other homes away from our home and Friday night is when everyone comes back together. It has become a strange ritual in our house that we don't do anything we just all do our own thing. Some play xbox, some play computer, some watch tv and some just be......
Now to everyone out there who says....get out and do something with your husband....well we work together and we live together and most of the time we take off early in the morning on our weekends alone and grab breakfast, do a little shopping and generally just enjoy spending time together. So I feel that we do have our quality time together. For those who say.....spend time with your family...... for the blended family sometimes it is hard to just relax...Imagine you go to one house and it is go go go go go time and then you go to the next house and it is go go go go go....well who wouldn't be exhausted. Now I feel terrible sometimes that we don't do enough with our kids but then I stop and realize sometimes people just need to do NOTHING. My husband got on to me this weekend and said, you can't clean I want you to do NOTHING...well I wasn't quite sure what to do with that. So I worked very hard not to do anything. It was not easy, but I was able to to obtain the goal! Our kids come to us and talk to us about almost anything, so I do not worry about our relationships, but feel that I give them a safe haven to just be.....
So, as I sit here tonight and the other five people in my household are just cillaxin and enjoying our quiet Friday night. I hope that you do the same!
I think you're exactly right. First, you have to do what works for your family. And for us... well, we work opposite shifts. D works mon-sat 8-5 (part time saturday job while we are paying off the last of our credit card debt and doing renovations on the house) and I work 2-11 mon-fri. We do try to take Sat night to go out just for us... but all day sat is just me and kidlet. we spend an hour on the whb, then we play, or watch movies, or snuggle or whatever. Just to be. and sunday is family fun day. Sometimes we have air hockey tourney's, sometimes we go to the movies or the zoo. Sometimes we just all sit around glued to our video games.
ReplyDeleteThe point is, a peaceful, happy, family looks the same from outside... everyone's happy, healthy, and loving with one another (mostly) but from the inside, we all look very, very different.
Sort of like soup. *grin*